A not-for-profit community mental health organization, the Whatcom Counseling & Psychiatric Clinic has provided assistance to thousands of residents in our region during the Clinic’s history. The Clinic is fully licensed by the State of Washington and offers the latest mental health care treatment options combined with highly skilled, professional clinicians. The Clinic is a founding member of the Whatcom Accountable Care Organization and is a United Way partner agency.
Founded in 1957 with a staff of three, the Clinic has grown over the years to employ more than 100 people. Our services include individual and group therapy, intensive outpatient, community support and care management, medication prescription and monitoring, and specialized treatment services for the elderly, children and families. We also offer emergency services 24 hours a day, seven days a week to anyone in Whatcom County experiencing a mental health crisis.
Our clients include individuals of all ages from a diverse range of racial and socio-economic backgrounds. Some are seeking counseling to address specific emotional issues, while others require integrated care to treat serious mental health disorders. Still others have a chemical dependency or are in need of emergency crisis services.
Vision and Mission
In order to continue to provide quality services and improve our outcomes, the Whatcom Counseling & Psychiatric Clinic has developed a core vision and mission that guides us in our work on a daily basis.
Vision: So that lives may flourish, the Clinic provides accessible, quality behavioral health care for our community.
Mission: The Clinic promotes the health, well being, and safety of our community through quality counseling and psychiatric services for all in need, and the support and safety of those at risk.
We accomplish these goals through the following initiatives:
- Develop the human resources of the Clinic and ensure that staff members have the qualifications and support to achieve expected outcomes.
- Strengthen our existing services and demonstrate positive outcomes.
- Expand our services and diversify funding.
- Develop a clear and consistent message about our mission and goals to increase the Clinic’s visibility and value in the community.
- Develop a fundraising program.
- Become the proactive leader in behavioral health care in Whatcom County.
- Use technology to provide efficiency in client care, administration and management.
- Maximize the use of our current facilities and anticipate future growth.
- Collaborate with other community partners.
- Engage in collaborative problem solving.
In support of these goals, we value:
- Accessibility and responsiveness to community needs.
- Integrity in everything we do and the courage to deal with needed changes.
- Excellence at every level of the organization.
- Accountability for the use of public resources and the quality of service we provide.
- Diversity of thoughts, beliefs and cultures that enhance the care environment, and provide equitable treatment for all.
- Teamwork as the best way to demonstrate our values and achieve our vision.
- Health and well being of clients and staff.
- Creativity that enables innovation.
- Financial stability and planning to protect the ongoing provision of services.
The Whatcom Counseling & Psychiatric Clinic’s staff is comprised of highly skilled psychiatrists, nurses, mental health therapists, chemical dependency professionals, peer counselors and care managers who provide up-to-date therapeutic services in a warm and welcoming environment.
At the Clinic, we combine our professional technical skills with genuine compassion to give our clients the support and encouragement they need to recover. We take a patient-focused approach and partner with our clients to discover and pursue each individual’s vision for a hopeful and satisfying life.
Our clinical staff members are registered and fully licensed by the State of Washington. In addition, they undergo rigorous evaluations to comply with county and state requirements in order to ensure quality care on an ongoing basis.
Board of Directors
The Whatcom Counseling & Psychiatric Clinic’s Board of Directors is comprised of representatives from the community who offer expertise and guidance in accordance with the Clinic’s mission “to promote the health, well being and safety of our community through quality counseling and psychiatric services for all in need, and the support and safety of those at risk.”
Our board members generously volunteer their time and resources to oversee the operation of the Clinic and to implement the organization’s strategic goals. All are motivated by a desire to improve the well being of individuals and families in our community, and to create a better quality of life in Whatcom County.
Dave Kleiber, President
Dennis Dashiell, Vice President
Kristi Gruett, Secretary-Treasurer
William “Bill” Slodysko
Vermont “Monty” McAllister, MD
L. Cordell McCarrey
Your Support Matters Donate Now
For mental health counseling, call Whatcom Counseling & Psychiatric Clinic at (360) 676-2220 or e-mail email@example.com, or simply go the main clinic at 3645 E. McLeod. Whatcom Counseling offers limited walk-in mental health evaluations, call ahead for times and days.
Whatcom Counseling also offers drug, alcohol, chemical or substance abuse services, call for an appointment.
NEED HELP NOW?
If you fear for your safety or the safety of others, call 911.
If you are in crisis and need to talk to someone right away, call the Crisis Line:
FIND OUT MORE
Keep up on mental health and chemical dependency issues in Whatcom County via our monthly newsletter. Sign up here: firstname.lastname@example.org